Postmaster running, psql not

От Roy MacGregor Paterson
Тема Postmaster running, psql not
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi guys and gals,

I'm a pgsql newbie, starting from scratch, can't get past second post: help.

Environment is like this...
MacOS X Jaguar
PowerBook G4
Installed PG v7.3.3 from Entropy package as per website instructions
Installed Aqua Studio GUI
Reading Practical PostgreSQL, O'Reilly
Reading Unix for MacOS X, O'Reilly
(typical mac user: can spell gui but not unix)

Am able to fire up pg in Terminal with...

/usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data start
"postmaster successfully started"

and shut it down again with...

/usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data stop -m smart
"postmaster successfully shut down"

(No environment variables set yet)

Directory looks like this...
[MacGregor:/usr] postgres% ls /usr/local/bin
bdftops             gsbj                pg_config           postmaster
clusterdb           gsdj                pg_controldata      printafm
createdb            gsdj500             pg_ctl              ps2ascii
createlang          gslj                pg_dump             ps2epsi
createuser          gslp                pg_dumpall          ps2pdf
dropdb              gsnd                pg_encoding         ps2pdf12
droplang            initdb              pg_id               ps2pdf13
dropuser            initlocation        pg_resetxlog        ps2pdfwr
dvipdf              ipcclean            pg_restore          ps2ps
ecpg                lprsetup.sh         pgtclsh             psql
eps2eps             pdf2dsc             pj-gs.sh            pv.sh
fixmswrd.pl         pdf2ps              pltcl_delmod        sysvlp.sh
font2c              pdfopt              pltcl_listmod       unix-lpr.sh
gimpprint-config    pf2afm              pltcl_loadmod       vacuumdb
gs                  pfbtopfa            postgres            wftopfa

OK. So it looks like psql is installed, but when I enter the
connection command so that I can call createdb...
[MacGregor:~] postgres% psql -U manager template1 (straight from the book)

I get...
psql: Command not found.

Also tried to connect via Acqua Studio GUI: Register Server but it
wouldn't connect: "...is TCP/IP set up?...". Which is standard in the
Entropy pkg I believe. Not really sure what to enter as params for
PGSQL anyway.

Doh! what now? Anyone around in West London UK care to swap knowledge
for alcohol?

MTIA,
Roy
--